I wanted something special to decorate my home office when I came upon this vintage-looking Mario wallart on Thingiverse (Details of the make). The original photo picture the 3D printed framed, so I figured, why not?
First step, fire the 3D printer and extrude the hell out of Mario
Retrospectively, I could have done a better job with the printer, I used a 0.6mm nozzle whereas a 0.4 would have given a cleaner look.
Also, I am aware that the painter's tape on the magnetic bed is old school, but I do have layer adhesion issue and so far I couldn't bother trying and fixing them.
Next to the frame : I have some oak that I received from a friend. The blank was to thic and too wide for my taste so I took care of that on my table saw.
For the backgroud, I had a piece of 3mm plywood laying around. The original color was too dark to my taste and didn't play well with the oak frame so I decided to cover it up with a few thin layer of white spray paint.
The joins were really weak. It took me 3 tries to get them to hold onto each other. On my third try I ended up drilling through-holes in the corner and filling them with wood dowels to have a better joins.
Lieke I mentionned, the PLA was a bit too rough to my taste. I sanded it down to 220 grid and spray painted the print.
I alternated between black and red layers of spray paint just to experiment a bit and I ended up with this rusty/metalic look that I very much like.